||listed in the Domesday Survey
as half a church with 15 acres (under land of
Robert Grenon), 2 beehives (Count Alan of Brittany). Several manors also listed.
||population 36. In 1901, 502.
In 1981, 808. Electoral register of 2001 shows 673.
||first Stutton Hall owned by
Roger de Pavely. Present Stutton Hall built by Sir
Edmund Jermy (Knight) circa. 1550. Jermy monuments in St. Peter’s Church.
||mention of early Creping Hall
(as then spelt). Once the seat of of the Wingfield
||mention of Crow Hall. Present
Crowe Hall built in 1605 by the Latimer family and
much altered in the 19th century.
||present church of St. Peter,
built of flint, mostly perpendicular with some
Norman fragments. It has a square tower housing 6 bells. The list of rectors
||Quarhams built next to the
church. Probably the oldest existing house in
||King’s Head inn built.
||Stutton House rebuilt as the
rectory by the Rev. Tobias Rustat. Dutch gables added
in 1832. Rebuilt after the fire of 1984 without the gables.
||Friendly Society formed.
||Stutton’s first Primary
School built, now known as the Old Mission Hall, next to
the present school which was built in 1897 and rebuilt after the fire in 1964.
||Wesleyan Chapel built.
||Almshouses built by the Misses
Baker in memory of their father, Rev. Geo. Baker.
||trial-boring at Stutton by
the Eastern Counties Coal-boring Association reached a
depth of over 1350 feet without discovering coal.
||Parish listed as 2294 acres
of land, 166 acres of tidal water and 988 acres of
||Evans Farm land sold to create
||Larksfield Road built. Previously
used by the army for a wartime searchlight site.
||Alton Watermill dismantled
and rebuilt at the Museum of East Anglian Life at
||Alton Water Reservoir under
||Stutton Community Hall opened,
replacing the wooden Victory Hall from the
Oak House opened.